I am an accomplished editor and communicator with 15 years of solid media, marketing and PR experience. I also have an eye for design and a creative mind.
April 2008 – present: Freelance journalist, editor and copywriter
• Feature writing • Copywriting for print and web • Providing creative input, copywriting and support for PR campaigns • Writing and issuing e-newsletters • Proofreading and editing • Book projects
Past and present clients include Speciality Food, Slim at Home, Natural Health, Essex Magazine, SmartLife International, Grow Your Own, Essential Kitchen Bathroom Bedroom Magazine, Healthy & Organic Living, Voice Communications, Pro Publishing, Red Cover Ltd, Colchester Borough Council, Artasia, First Signs & Labels, Mark Williams Photography, Jake Fitzjones Photography, Archant Dialogue (Center Parcs, Visit Essex, Essilor), Britainsfinest.co.uk, Marston & Langinger, Merrell Publishers, TT Automotive, Ryland Peters & Small, GAP Interiors, AJ Energy Consultants, BrandClever, Credit & Business Finance, Global Trade Credit Alliance, 100% Effective, Cloudfm, Royal Association for Deaf people, Nash Homeworks
April 2010 – January 2013: Account Manager, PrettyGood PR
• Media relations • Copywriting (articles, press releases, websites, brochures, newsletters, award entries, video/radio scripts) • Launch events • New business research and pitches • Online PR • Social media • Strategy planning • Corporate literature • Planning and hosting press visits • Creating reports and monthly graphical analyses of coverage (including competitor comparisons). Clients included Ideal Heating, Ideal Commercial, Paynes Turf, HRP, Sentinel Commercial, Ideal Commercial, Stoke by Nayland Hotel Golf & Spa, Seapets, AJ Energy Consultants, Orchard Group, TT Automotive, CFB Boilers, CBHC Chartered Accountants, Prettys, Regency Security, Charltons Estate Agents, Breasley, Credit & Business Finance, Crane BS&U, Colchester Fuel Injection
June 2009 – April 2010 (maternity cover): Editor, Attire Bridal and Editor/Editor-in-Chief, Craft Focus, KD Media Publishing
• Responsibility for direction and content • Cover design / wording • Proofreading and copy editing • Managing the production process • Recruiting/overseeing staff • Feature and news writing • Commissioning • Updating websites • Working with the advertising department to maximize revenue
April 2008 – September 2008: Publications & Advertising Assistant (part-time), Colchester Institute
• Media buying • Copywriting • Collating prospectus amendments • Proofreading
• Co-ordinating the production of departmental leaflets and brochures
July 2006 – April 2008: Editor, Period Ideas, Aceville Publications
As previous role, plus: • Responsibility for direction and content of the company’s biggest magazine • Cover design and strap-lines • Recruiting, training and leading a team of three editorial staff • Managing production • Formulating strategies to increase readership • Planning promotional activities • Working with the advertising department to maximize revenue
October 2003 – July 2006: Deputy Editor, Period Ideas, Aceville Publications
• Feature writing • Promotional features • Representing the title at events
• Commissioning • Deputizing for the Editor • Competitions
January 2003 – October 2003: PR Consultant, Quay West Communications
• Conference management • Direct mail • Internal communications • Media relations
• Advertising • Copywriting • Corporate literature • Launch event management
Clients included Lennox, Vaillant, Nicholas Anthony, MacLellan International, Hungry Horse (Greene King), The Curtain Exchange
July 2001 – December 2002: Editorial Assistant, Essential Publishing
• Feature writing • Proofreading and editing • Commissioning • Promotional features
• Competitions • Photo shoot styling
Titles included Homestyle, Period House, Essential Kitchen Bathroom Bedroom Magazine, Rooms & Living, plus contract publications for clients
1997 – 2001 University of St. Andrews. 2:1 MA (Hons) in English
Other subjects studied included French, Spanish, Social Anthropology, Linguistics and Russian Literature & Society
1995 – 1997 The Royal Hospital School, Holbrook, Suffolk
‘A’ Levels French (A) Art & Design (A) English Literature (B)
‘S’ Paper English Literature (Distinction)
1990 – 1995 Hadleigh High School, Hadleigh, Suffolk
GCSE 7A*, 2A.
• Competent keyboard skills (50wpm)
• Experienced user of Microsoft Office, QuarkXpress, InDesign
• Experience with Photoshop, content management systems, web-authoring packages and HTML
• Two-day ‘Management & Leadership’ training course completed at Park City (2006)
• French: Good knowledge
• Spanish: Basic knowledge
Full clean UK licence (held since 11/11/1996)
• Equestrianism: I have ridden since I was 5 years old, although do not do so regularly at the moment. I have competed in show jumping, showing , eventing and dressage, reaching national level in the latter.
• Food and wine: I actively seek out new gourmet experiences, and I enjoy cooking.
• Travel: I love to explore new places. I have visited France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Latvia, Poland, Jamaica, Lanzarote, Croatia, Turkey, Malta and the USA.
• Heritage: I am fascinated by Britain’s built heritage, but this has led to a broader interest in the UK’s history. I enjoy visiting galleries, museums and properties such as those owned by English Heritage or the National Trust.
• Golf: I have recently started taking golf lessons, and I’m looking forward to acquiring sufficient skill to play a round at St Andrews (I’m ashamed to say that when I lived there, I never even picked up a club!).
References are available on request. If you would like a pdf copy of my CV, please contact me.